At Darling Corner Osteopathy, we frequently treat babies, toddlers and children. This treatment is extremely gentle and safe. No ’cracking’ manipulation is used on these soft developing bodies. Instead, we use a variety of gentle hands-on techniques, including cranial osteopathy, indirect myofascial release and other non-invasive techniques.
Treating your baby
Babies often present for treatment of:
- birth trauma injuries, such as from a forceps or vacuum extraction delivery
- excessive crying, being unsettled
- digestive issues, such as colic, wind, reflux and excessive positing
- poor sleeping habits
- plagiocephaly (also called flat-head syndrome), which is distortion of the shape of the baby’s head
- torticollis (also called wry neck) and cervical spine problems
- recurrent ear infections or glue ear
- breastfeeding issues such as poor sucking or attachment problems.
Osteopathic paediatric treatment relies on the help of the baby’s parent or guardian to get a detailed history that will aid in our diagnosis. This can include a birth history and the baby’s general health information.
We then examine the baby with our finely tuned hands, looking for any discomfort or areas of dysfunction. We may also assess their neurological, orthopaedic or respiratory health. Once we have established a diagnosis, we will start the treatment.
We treat the baby either on the osteo-table or in their parent’s or guardian’s arms, guiding them on how to hold the baby in the best position to be treated in comfort. We use light pressure on the baby’s problem areas to relieve any tension and stress. Almost all the babies we see really enjoy the treatment.
The staff at Darling Corner Osteopathy may also offer parents or guardians advice about how to manage your baby’s condition.
Treating your young child
At Darling Corner Osteopathy, young children often attend the clinic for:
- trauma injuries, such as falls and playground injuries
- postural imbalances, such as scoliosis or leg-length imbalances
- walking or gait problems
- developmental delays
- respiratory ailments, such as asthma or recurrent chest infections
- general aches and pains
- migraine headaches.
Children are not just young adults. They have different anatomical and physiological processes, which we recognise and integrate into their treatment.
The osteopaths at Darling Corner Osteopathy are trained to assess and treat children of all ages, safely, gently and effectively, so that they can develop in the best possible way and lead a happy, healthy young life.